Christmas lights are either LED or incandescent. They also come in various shapes, styles, and colors. Christmas lights wiring can sometimes prove tricky. However, you have to understand how they work.
Use Christmas lights to brighten up your home. It’s a special period to celebrate and be merry. You can use Christmas lights creatively to beautify your home if you know how they work.
So, here’s a crucial question.
How do 3-wire Christmas lights work?
Christmas lights work in series or parallel circuits. They’re either 2-wire or 3-wire. The ones with 2-wire are usually in a parallel circuit. But the 3-wire Christmas lights either work in series or a mixture of series and parallel circuits.
When 3-wire Christmas lights work in series, the wires connect in different ways. Two wires connect the opposite plugs at the two ends (male and female plugs). The last wire connects the light bulbs in a series circuit. Also, one end of the third wire connects to the hot wire and the other end to the neutral wire.
In such 3-wire Christmas lights, if one of the bulbs removes, all the other bulbs will go off. Sometimes, it has a shunt that connects to the wires, so when one bulb damages, the other ones still connect. That enables the other bulbs to remain lit.
Each bulb in the series is about 2 to 4 volts. But it depends on the total number of bulbs. For instance, if it has 50 light bulbs, that allows 120 volts of power. Then, each bulb will be about 2.4 volts.
However, when it works as a mixture of series and parallel, the light bulbs are connected in pairs. It has two series circuits that attach in parallel. That way, if something goes wrong at one of the series circuits (half of the string or cord), only light bulbs at that part will go off and not the whole light bulbs.
Continue reading for more on Christmas lights.
Types Of Christmas lights circuit
There are two types of Christmas light circuits. These include parallel and series circuits.
This refers to a closed circuit in which each bulb has its path of connection to the current. And it’s not directly connected to the next bulb. So removing one bulb won’t break the circuit. You can choose to leave some sockets empty without bulbs and then tape them.
Most times, parallel circuit Christmas lights have bulbs with a threaded base. You can easily choose to add more lights to the circuit. Also, you can choose to cut the wire to your desired length and terminate it properly with no issues.
This Christmas light is in a single closed circuit. In this type of circuit, the light arranges in a straight line, connecting one light bulb to others. Such that, if one bulb pulls out or removes from its socket, the other bulbs will go out. That means that all component connected to the circuit has to be in order before it can work.
However, if one bulb goes out, the other bulbs won’t go out as long as the bulb doesn’t pull out of its socket and the wire under it isn’t damaged. You can’t cut the wire to shorten the length. If you must reduce the light of the Christmas light, you have to roll it up and tuck it away.
What To Do When Your Christmas Light Goes Out
Follow these methods to repair your Christmas light when it develops a fault.
For a parallel circuit, do the following.
Check the fuse:
Be sure that the fuse is not damaged. You can do this by using a small screwdriver or any small tool to open the fuse area. Then, use the end of the screwdriver to lift the fuse (usually two fuses). Check for dark parts or signs that it’s faulty. And make sure you replace it.
Ensure that you remove corrosion (if there are any) from the plug using fine-grit sandpaper. When you finish, plug into an outlet to check the lights. If the fuse blows again, reduce the length of the string. It may be too much for the circuit.
But if the fuse still blows after you do this, then there may be an issue with the wiring. Be sure that the cord is not more than the specified length. You can get an electrician to check that it has the correct bulb wattage.
Check the wiring:
Check for any damage in the wiring. Repair the damaged area and use the correct plug. You can also get an electrician to do it.
Make sure that the cord is still in good condition. If not, remove the bulbs and change the strings.
For the serials circuit, do the following.
Check the fuse:
Just like in a parallel circuit, you need to be sure that the fuse isn’t bad. Replace it if it has problems. Then, plug the light into the outlet. If it still doesn’t work, test the bulbs.
Test the bulbs:
Make sure that you insert all the bulbs are properly in their sockets. You can also use a bulb tester to check for faulty bulbs. To do this, plug the cord into an outlet and test each bulb by placing it into the tester or simply touching it with a tester.
When the tester lights up or beeps, then you’ve found a bad bulb. Do this for all the bulbs. You can use tape or any other means to mark the bad bulbs as you spot them.
Now, replace the faulty bulbs that you marked. Make sure that you unplug the cord before you do so. Carefully pull out the plastic part of the old bulb so that you don’t pull out the wire in the socket. To avoid mistakes, you can use a light repair tool that includes bulb remover to remove the bulb.
Furthermore, replace the bulbs with exact types. If you have extra bulbs, you can use them or buy some. It’s best to purchase backup bulbs. And make sure it’s the same manufacturer. Don’t force the light bulbs into the socket. If it doesn’t match, you can either get matching ones or replacement light cords.
Next, insert the bulbs securely into the sockets. Then plug the cord into an outlet. The lights will come on now. Else, check that the bulbs are well-placed in the sockets and ensure the new bulbs are not damaged. Then try again.
Check the wire bundle:
If the problem is not from the light bulbs, check the wire bundle for faults or damages. But if it’s damaged, remove all the light bulbs from the sockets and dispose of the cord. Then buy a new one.
Note that you should change light bulbs quickly when they get faulty during use. That way, you won’t risk having more bulbs blowing due to a higher current going through them.
Safety Tips For Using Christmas Lights
- Check your Christmas lights for faulty plugs, exposed wires, and any other issues before decorating.
- If you want to purchase new lights, ensure they have safety marks.
- Be sure that the lights are safe for indoor or outdoor use before using them in any location.
- Don’t hang lights near materials that are prone to fire hazards. Place them at a safe distance away from flammable items.
- Make sure the ladder you’re using is stable on the ground.
- Check the fastenings for placing the lights outside the house before you hang them. To avoid any danger that’s connected with falling off.
- Let the hooks or fasteners you use to hang the wires be insulated. Screws, staples, and other related fasteners can electrify, so don’t use them.
- Replace bulbs that burn as soon as you notice them.
- Ensure you switch off all Christmas lights before you go to bed or when you’re not home. It helps to prevent fire outbreaks.
- Always ensure the lights are out of the reach of your pets or small children.
- Ensure you fasten your lights securely so that the winter storms won’t blow them loose.
- To avoid overheating, don’t plug more than three strands of Christmas lights in one extension.
- It’s best to use led lights as they produce less heat and use less electricity. Even though they’re a bit expensive, they last much longer than other lights and are safer.
- Dispose of old lights that have lasted for several years and are no longer on sale, as they’re more prone to sparks. It’s better to invest in new ones.
- Don’t pull too hard, so you don’t damage the strings when removing Christmas lights.
- Be careful when removing the lights from plants or trees. You don’t want to harm them.
- For your Christmas lights to last long, pack them carefully and store them well.
Now, you understand how a 3-wire Christmas light works. So, ensure you check to see if your 3-wire light is in series or a mixture of series and parallel circuits. That way, you’ll be able to troubleshoot your Christmas light effectively.
Always check the vital parts of your Christmas light whenever it goes off suddenly before you conclude on what action to take. And remember that keeping to the safety measures when you are using Christmas lights will save you from any issue.
You May Like These Articles As Well: