Pomme Frites are the original French way of cooking what Americans term as French Fries. This is an easy recipe and by eliminating the frying cooking method, you’ll have a healthier fry!
French fry, chips, crinkles – whatever you call them, Pomme Frites are the original name of everyone’s favorite side item. Can you imagine a burger with out a crispy fry?? I sure can’t. Thank goodness for the French.
Most pomme frites are fried and dipped in an aoli or mayo. They taste great but not so friendly on the waist line. There is a way to make pomme frites healthy and not lose the flavor & crisp texture.
What’s my secret?? A few things…. I like to soak potatoes in water after slicing them for atleast 10 minutes. It brings out the starch. Bake frites on a cooling rack coated in cooking spray. All sides will get browned and crispy! Also, bake at a high heat. 450 degrees for 25 minutes will do the trick if your frites are cut evenly. Seasoning the frites before baking will give them a great flavor! I like to use fresh thyme and garlic salt, but feel free to use any seasoning combo you might like!
Baked Pomme Frites are a crispy on the outsides and soft on the inside — just like what you would get at your favorite restaurant… but with out all of the calories! This easy recipe is figure friendly and will satisfy your
fry frites craving.
- 1 Yukon gold potato, cut into 3/8 inch sticks (use a mandolin if you have one.)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp chopped fresh or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cooking spray
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauces
- Set oven to 400 degrees. Soak sliced potatoes in a bowl of cold water for atleast 10 minutes. Drain and try to remove excess water.
- Place cut potatoes in a ziplock bag with the oil, thyme and garlic salt. Shake until well coated.
- On a foil lined baking sheet, place a cooling rack on top. Spray it with cooking spray. Put the sliced potatoes on the rack and make sure none of the potatoes are overlapping. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are browned.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle chives over frites. Recipe will serve 2 people.