Winter’s Cure Detox Smoothie

If you’re looking to forget about winter, the fruity taste of this detox smoothie will take your mind to a warmer place. And it’s totally waist line friendly, so start your day with a healthy beverage filled with fruits & veggies!

Winter's Cure DETOX Smoothie is loaded with fruits and veggies! #vegan #detox #healthy #recipe

I’m so distracted by pretty things… whether it’s jewelry, place settings, or seasonal sprinkles in the baking isle – I have a hard time walking away. One of my new vices are those brightly colored juices you can get at Whole Foods and at a juice bar. They are all so pretty, loaded with fruits and veggies and usually come with fun names…. and when I get to the cash register, I swear to stop buying $8-10 juices. Until I’m there the next time. It’s a bad cycle for a healthy person.

One of the juice bars on my street (yes, we have competing juice bars!), has one of my favorite juice blends. It’s carrots, oranges, apples and ginger. And since I’ve come down with a cold, I’ve been trying to up my vitamin C. Instead of trenching through the snow to get my juice fix, I decided to make it myself in a Vitamix blender… so it comes out more like a smoothie instead of a juice but it’s still delicious.

This detox smoothie has 2 very detoxing foods – ginger and apples. Ginger spikes your metabolism and helps to curb your appetitie. Apples are nutrient-rich, plus they contain pectin, a soluble fibre that helps remove food additives and metals from your system. Pairing this with vitamin C foods like oranges and carrots, you’ve got a rockstar smoothie perfect for breakfast, a snack or for dessert!

I like to call this detox smoothie a Winter’s cure because every sip tastes like something you would drink while on vacation. It might be from my addition of coconut milk, but it’s pretty tasty! The recipe below will make about 2 cups, but since this smoothie holds very well in the fridge, it can be doubled so you’ll have a couple servings handy.

Winter’s Cure Detox Smoothie

Ingredients

• 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 orange, peeled & quartered (needs to be sweet & juicy!!)
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and quartered (make sure it's tart!)
  • 3 carrots
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp minced ginger (go heavy on ginger if you like the ginger bite!)
  • Optional - add ice cubes if you don't store produce in the fridge.

Instructions

1. Combine all ingredients in the blender. Blend until smooth. Serve or store in airtight containers.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

meghan sig

facebook-navy-e1354584865245twitter-bird-navy-e1354585015102pinterest-navy-e1354584988182instagram-navy-e1354584944683google-plus-navy-e1357068399904

1. Breakfast Recipe : Mexican Chirozo Hash - The Tasty Fork says

[…] and all I can think about is what I want to eat for breakfast. During my work week, I keep things simple and healthy. But when it comes to a Saturday or Sunday morning, I’m craving something […]

2. Meghan Riley says

This sounds just like what I need right now. I’m so over winter and I need to get out of this eating rut that I fall into during the cold months.
    Meghan Riley recently posted…Black T-shirt and JeansMy Profile

3. Marlynn @UrbanBlissLife says

Oh I love smoothies, but you know what’s funny? I’ve never put oranges in them. This looks delicious and presents the perfect opportunity for me to add oranges to our smoothies!
    Marlynn @UrbanBlissLife recently posted…[Travel Bliss] Sonoma, California Wine Country Travel Guide, Part 2: EATMy Profile

4. Melissa @ A Prudent Life says

Yum! I’ve been looking for a way to escape winter and this would be a great start. I love ginger!
    Melissa @ A Prudent Life recently posted…Thursday S.T.Y.L.E. Week #7My Profile

5. Mandy says

I’m always looking for new smoothie recipes so I will have to try this one!
    Mandy recently posted…Life Lately – Vacation & Wedding RecapMy Profile

6. Easy Meals - Kraft Recipe Makers #CookinComfort | The Tasty Fork says

[…] I’m all about a good short cut. I’ll often buy jarred marinara sauce and add some fresh herbs to it when we have pasta night. Those pre-made salads you can get at the grocery store are my friend when I don’t have time to think about lunch. And I need to have an intervention when it comes to fresh juices for breakfast. […]

7. Mamapotamus says

This sounds great and I’m normally not a ginger fan. I’ve been really wanting smoothies lately – maybe because I’m in denial about it still being Winter.
    Mamapotamus recently posted…Pregnant Me vs Teenager MeMy Profile

• Meghan Early Swint says

You can go easy on the ginger if you don’t like things to gingery. :)

8. Rachel @ {i love} my disorganized life says

I have been feeling kind of icky lately, this is just what I need!
    Rachel @ {i love} my disorganized life recently posted…Love and TungstenMy Profile

9. Joelen says

Coconut, orange and carrot sounds like a delicious combo – and so beautiful too!

10. Lisa @ Je suis alimentageuse says

Ooooh I can just imagine the zing of ginger enveloped in a smooth, coconutty hug, sweetened with orange. Yes puhleeeaaaaze.
    Lisa @ Je suis alimentageuse recently posted…Vegan Pecan Caramel Clusters made with Medjool DatesMy Profile