Gluten Free Scones with Pomegranate & Coconut are easy to make and totally tasty! This recipe is a healthy alternative to the traditional scone and can be made in less than 20 minutes!
Are you confined to your home for the next few days because of more than chilly temperatures?? I am. And I have no groceries. We’re down to one car and our Camry doesn’t maneuver too well through the snow banks on side streets. I did find some chicken tenders in the freezer. I wonder if I can last 3 days on tenders…
I’m slightly over exaggerating on my grocery situation. On Friday, I bought the ingredients I needed to make these Gluten Free Scones. I’ve been playing with my gluten free recipes lately and this scone recipe came together very easily. Besides being gluten free, it also has no refined sugar and no dairy. Honey replaces the sugar, and you’ll get a sweet enough flavor from the shredded coconut and orange zest. There is no butter in the actual recipe. However, when you’re ready to eat this tasty scone, feel free to top it with a little bit of butter. Most scone recipes are LOADED with butter, so don’t feel guilty when topping a scone with a very small amount. You’re cutting out so much fat by following this recipe.
Pomegranate seeds are in season so try to eat them as much as you can! Their loaded with anti-oxidants and I love the pop of color they add to this recipe. If you can find pomegranates, fresh or dried cranberries can be substituted.
Gluten Free Pomegranate & Coconut Scones is a quick breakfast perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a baked good, but doesn’t want to sabotage their healthy eating. I know I’ll be eating these dense scones over the next few days… with a side of chicken tenders. Stay warm and safe, my friends!!
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, 1 tsp set aside for topping scones
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 cups gluten free flour -- coconut, almond or ground oats
- Optional - butter on baked scones when serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix egg and honey. Mix in all of the ingredients. Use your hands to knead the dough. Add 1-2 tbsp of water if your dough needs some moisture. Shape into a flat circle on the baking sheet. Use your hands to flatten out dough so it's 1/2 inch thick. Cut int 6 triangles. Top each scone with additional shredded coconut. Bake for 18 minutes. Top each scone with a little butter, if using.