If you’re in need of a healthy & protein filled meal, you must try this detox salad! It’s the perfect salad to make on Sunday and enjoy for lunch all week!
Are you on a big holiday hangover like me?? I ate lots of sugar cookies, tons of chocolate and every carb loving side dish I wanted for the past week. Getting back on track is a must… mainly because I want to fit in all of the new clothes I bought online after Christmas.
I like to call this detox salad my Monday salad. My cheat day is usually on Saturday or Sunday, so when Monday comes around, I’m in need of veggies and protein. Detox Salad has chicken and chickpeas (bring on the protein!!), cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers, chives and cilantro. Top with an easy homemade vinegar based dressing and it’s time to eat!
I’m guessing many of you have resolutions to lose weight or eat healthier in 2014. This salad will totally help you achieve your goals! I have two healthy eating tips for you. First, plan ahead for the week and cook a package (or two) of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker on Sunday. Having healthy food on hand and ready to go is a life saver. Which brings me to my second tip, prepare this salad on Sunday and store individual portions in mason jars. Pour in 2 tablespoons of salad dressing in each mason jar, then add chicken, chickpeas, green pepper, cucumbers, tomatoes and fresh herbs. I’ll prepare 5 mason jars and then I have lunch ready for every work day. It’s an amazing tip and will help you from straying from your healthy eating resolutions!
This Detox Salad is loaded with protein and fiber, which will help you stay fuller for a longer period of time. This salad is easy to take to work and enjoy for lunch. My Monday routine always includes this salad and helps me stay on track with good eating habits all week long!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (I like a lot of acid in a salad dressing, feel free to scale back if needed.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1-2 tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cooked skinless, boneless chicken, cut into cubes
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 5 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, minced
- Combine & mix all of the salad dressing ingredients. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add all of the salad ingredients. Pour 2 tbsp of salad dressing on each salad portion.
- To make an individual mason jar serving, add ingredients in this order - first add 2 tbsp salad dressing, chicken, chickpeas, green pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro and chives. It's important to keep the more delicate greens and vegetables away from the salad dressing. When ready to eat, shake and serve.