A warm and cozy breakfast, like Sausage & Polenta Breakfast Casserole, is the perfect way to start off a cold morning. This casserole can be assembled the night before - assuring you’ll have an easy morning ahead of you!
I’m starting to feel like Chicago is it’s own little snow globe…. usually timed perfectly with rush hour. I don’t mind the snow when I don’t need to be getting around town in it. My days start and end with shoveling snow. Ugh. I’m exhausted.
Something that happens a lot around here are people “claiming” parking spots on public streets. Reason being if someone takes the time to shovel out their car from a spot, they think it’s totally ok to set up cones or chairs to mark their territory when they head off to work. Now, I don’t do this and I find it super annoying. If I wasn’t afraid of pissing off the wrong person, I probably would move their markers and just park there.
The Chicago snow season has started a little bit earlier and harder than years’ past. After doing my morning shovel, I want nothing more than a warm breakfast. This Sausage and Polenta Breakfast Casserole is the type of meal that warms you from the inside out. It has sweet Italian Sausage, polenta, eggs and lots of cheese! If you like things spicy, be sure to add a little hot sauce, too!! This recipe would be great for a weekend brunch, a holiday get together or breakfast for dinner. It can be assembled ahead of time, so all you have to do is bake it when you’re ready to eat.
I might not to able to control all of the snow, the cold weather or people being super controlling over a parking spot…but I can easily forget about the snow globe going on outside by eating Sausage & Polenta Breakfast Casserole! It’s just too delicious to pass up!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 oz sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking polenta
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces smoked white cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1.75 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Add sausage; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Add onions, thyme, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Bring milk to a simmer in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in polenta and salt; simmer 7 minutes, stirring frequently with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add cheeses; stir until cheeses melt. Place the polenta mixture in a large bowl; let stand 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in pepper sauce and eggs. Add sausage mixture; stir well to combine. Spread polenta mixture into a 2-quart glass or ceramic broiler-safe baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cool to room temperature. (This is the step would would cover dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight if you're cooking at another time.)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Uncover dish. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or just until set. Top of the casserole should be browned.