Slow Cooker Squash Soup with Crunchy Chickpeas is a healthy recipe you can make any day of the week! I love the vegetable rich soup topped with spicy chickpeas!
I’ve been on a soup kick lately! I guess when you’re making an effort to eat clean, it’s pretty easy to make a soup. Cook veggies, puree and eat. It doesn’t get much easier than that! Plus, this recipe is made in the slow cooker. Which is great when I’m busy and working all day.
Slow Cooker Squash Soup has butternut squash, carrots and pumpkin. So of course, it has a lovely orange color. Perfect for the fall season! Garlic, cumin and chili powder are used to flavor the soup and the chickpeas. To make the chickpeas crunchy, they need to roast in the oven for about 40 minutes. I love how the same flavors are laced between the soup and chickpeas! Both elements are great on their own, too!
This recipe makes a lot, like 6 servings atleast. We ate squash soup for a couple days. The chickpeas didn’t really hold up very well, so try to eat all of them the night. I hope you’ll love this recipe as much as I did! It’s too easy not to try!
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock, additional stock might be needed to puree
- 2 (14 oz) cans canned pumpkin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne powder
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped chives, for garnish
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add squash and the next 4 ingredients to the crock pot. Add vegetable stock until all of the vegetables are submerged. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Add canned pumpkin and spices. Puree with an immersion blender. (Or use a blender and blend in batches.) Add more liquid (veggie stock or water) until you get the consistency you like. Taste, add salt if needed. Serve soup with crunchy chickpeas and chives.
- Set oven to 400 degrees. In a ziplock bag, mix chickpeas, oil and seasonings. Shake until chickpeas are well coated. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray cooking spray onto parchment. Spread chickpeas across the baking sheet in an even layer. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until crisp.