Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing is a low carb recipe that’s perfect for a fun family meal!
Yesterday I shared with you that I’m changing my eating habits. For the next few weeks, I’ll be eating no carbs and no sugar. Honestly, the weekends are the hardest. Everyone wants to go out, drink a couple beers while watching football and consume bar food. I refuse to be anti-social, so last weekend I weathered the storm and went out with friends to watch the Notre Dame Football game.
Why is it as soon as a girl says, “I’m not drinking,” everyone just assumes there is a baby on the way??!! I got so many comments and eyebrow raises when I said I was the sober driver and just wanted soda water with lemon. And then to make matters worse, there wasn’t one thing on the bar menu I could eat. I stared longingly at nachos, tater tots and quesadillas. I wanted to shove my face in all of it.
Being a non-drinking clean eater last weekend made me realize what my unhealthy triggers are… situations like that!! Once the strictness of my diet (like no carbs) comes to end, I need to incorporate healthy eating in social situations. Many restaurants these days are more than accommodating to special diets. One thing I’d like to see on more menus are these Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Buttermilk Blue Cheese Dressing. It’s perfect for snacking and it fits my craving for spicy chicken wings! It’s super easy to make since the chicken in cooked and shredded in the slow cooker. The buttermilk blue cheese dressing takes less than 2 minutes. There is no reason to buy a bottled blue cheese dressing anymore! Make this recipe as an healthy appetizer, snack for game day or any night you want to eat healthy but feel like you’re indulging.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 16 oz fat free low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hot cayenne pepper sauce (I used Frank's)
- 6 large lettuce leaves, I prefer Bibb lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 large celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp Greek yogurt (I like Fage)
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp chives, minced
- pepper, to taste
- Add all of the chicken ingredients to the slow cooker except the hot sauce. Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from the crock pot. Save 1/2 cup of the chicken stock, discard the rest. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker and shred it. Pour in reserved stock and hot sauce. Stir and cook on low for 30 minutes. Serve on bibb lettuce with carrots and celery. Drizzle buttermilk blue cheese dressing on top.
- To make dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Stir until well combined. Store in the fridge until ready to use.