Quick Quinoa Meatballs is an easy healthy recipe you can make in less than 45 minutes. These protein packed meatballs are the perfect dinner on a busy weeknight!
Seriously – who doesn’t love a good meatball?? I think I could eat meatballs everyday. You can easily switch up ingredients, which is a fun way for me to not get bored with a recipe.
Meatballs can get a bad rap for being unhealthy and high in calories. All you need to do is make a few changes to have an easy healthy recipe for meatballs! First, use a leaner meat. I like use turkey, pork or chicken. Second, find a healthy binder for the meatballs. Many people use bread crumbs. Many pre-made breadcrumbs are high in sodium and carbs. I saw in the October issue of Cooking Light to use quinoa instead. What a great idea!! It binds the meat mixture together, adds a lot of protein and gives a hearty structure to the meatball.
Quick Quinoa Meatballs are delicious! By adding a couple seasonings, these meatballs are jammed packed with flavor and have NO additional salt added. Every meatball needs a sauce, so pick up a low sodium marinara sauce from the store. (or make your own!) Quick Quinoa Meatballs come together so fast — it’s the perfect meal to make on a busy night and you still want to feed a healthy meal to your family!
What is your favorite recipe to make when you’re short on time?? Tell me in the comments section!
- 1/2 - 1 cup washed quinoa
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced shallot
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once you have a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. Check occasionally and stir to make sure no quinoa is burning at the bottom of the pan. Take the saucepan off the heat, transfer the quinoa to a medium mixing bowl, and allow it to cool for 10 minutes. (Time saving tip!! This step can be completed the day before so the quinoa is ready to go when you're ready to make the meatballs.)
- While the quinoa is cooling, add all of the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Using your hands, mix until all the ingredients are evenly distributed and well combined.
- Shape the meat mixture into balls that are a little smaller than a golf ball. Place them in even rows on the lined baking sheet. Cook the meatballs until they're slightly browned and crispy on top, 12 to 15 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer, the safe internal temperature for pork is 165°.