Asian Quinoa Bowl is an easy vegetarian recipe that’s healthy and packed with protein. Make this meal on a night when you need to get dinner on the table quickly but you still want a restaurant quality meal at home.
I tend to head to the gym in the middle of the day. I LOVE going there at that time. It’s pretty much empty, except for a few turbo muscle guys that like to grunt while lifting. I just pop in my ear buds and watch whatever is on Bravo or E! during the middle of the day. I’m one of those people who no matter how many times I’ve watched an episode of Keep up with the Kardashians or Real Housewives of Whatever, when something funny happens, I laugh out loud. I guess it’s good no one is in the gym. I do get a few looks from the muscle heads, but I just roll it off. Go back to grunting…
The hard part about going to the gym during this time is I get hungry. Like, super hungry. I usually start to get hunger pains half way into my work out. From that time on, the only thing I can think about is food. So not only am I laughing at whatever is on TV, I’ve got those loud stomach growls. Again, thank goodness no one is at the gym.
I find when I’m hungry, I think of the best recipes. Jim and I have been cutting back on our animal proteins, so getting creative with easy vegetarian recipes is something I spend a lot of time on. My main goal in vegetarian cooking is to eat a meal and not even realize meat wasn’t on the plate. Goal accomplished with this Asian Quinoa Bowl.
I love cooking with quinoa. I like to use it instead of rice or couscous since quinoa has so many health benefits. This easy vegetarian recipe has Asian flavors I love! It’s totally a recipe I would order if I was out at a restaurant and I wanted something filling yet healthy. Asian Quinoa Bowl comes together pretty quick – like 25 minutes. You’ve got time for that!
Asian Quinoa Bowl is a recipe that will have your family licking their plates clean! Meat eaters in your life won’t even notice it’s vegetarian. What are your favorite easy vegetarian recipes?
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp stir-fry sauce
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp honey
- 1.5 cups shredded carrots and cabbage (look for this in a bagged cabbaged section at the grocery store)
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- Green onions, sliced, for garnish
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- In a sauce pan, add vegetable broth and quinoa. Cook according to package directions. Fluff with fork when done cooking.
- In a skillet, add sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add mushrooms and ginger. Saute for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, combine stir fry sauce, soy sauce and honey. Pour over mushrooms. Add carrots and peanuts. Saute for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- When quinoa is cooked, add it to mushroom mixture. Fold quinoa into the sauce and veggies. Serve quinoa with green onions and cilantro.