Cooking Light Magazine has healthy and quick cooking meals. Couscous Salad with Chicken, Dates & Almonds is easy to prepare, has sweet & savory flavors and a no-guilt recipe perfect to feed to your family any night of the week.
If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know I spent last weekend in New York City. We visited Jim’s brother and wife, who live in Hoboken. Our weekend was filled with sight seeing, eating, drinking, more eating and more drinking. I’m shocked my pants still fit when we got home.
Since I’m on the shorter side, any kind of weight gain feels like it shows….everywhere. Luckily, after indulging weekends, I can flip through a Cooking Light Magazine and find tons of healthy (& Tasty!!) options. From Appetizers to Desserts, Cooking Light has your good-for-you recipes covered!
This Couscous Salad with Chicken, Dates and Almonds is just delicious! It definitely doesn’t taste like a healthy dinner! (Dieters know what I’m talking about!) To give extra flavor to the couscous, I always cook it in a broth. Since grilled chicken thighs are in this meal, I used chicken broth. The dressing for the salad has low-fat buttermilk, spices and garlic. It really soaks in the couscous! The add ins to this salad really make a difference. The dates are chewy and sweet, crunchy almonds, fresh green onions and cilantro… YUM!
I’ll totally be making this salad again! It comes together so quickly and tastes so good. It’s the perfect week night meal when you’re short on time and you still want a healthy meal to feed your family!
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (or water)
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds (or walnuts, pecans)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 pitted Medjool dates, diced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 12 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- Oil and heat up the grill
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in couscous; cover pan. Remove from heat; let couscous mixture stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover pan; fluff couscous with a fork. Combine buttermilk, 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add couscous, almonds, cilantro, dates, and green onion; stir mixture gently to combine.
- Drizzle olive oil evenly over chicken thighs; sprinkle both sides of chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and garlic. Grill chicken about 3-4 minutes per side. Remove chicken from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Spoon about 1 cup couscous mixture onto each of 6 plates. Slice chicken crosswise; divide chicken evenly over couscous. Salad can be eaten warm, cold or at room temperature.