I’ve been on a slow cooker kick this week! Today I’m sharing with you an easy slow cooker recipe: Italian Egg Strata. This casserole is cooked to perfection in your slow cooker. Make it for breakfast, a hearty brunch or dinner.
Before I met my husband, breakfast foods really didn’t appeal to me. When I would go out to brunch with friends, I was usually the only person who skipped the breakfast menu and looked at the lunch items. 10:30am is totally acceptable to eat a burger, right?? It wouldn’t be on the brunch menu if it wasn’t.
Anyway — once I met Jim, we would talk about food and I was shocked to hear breakfast was his favorite meal. So much so that if he was craving a sit down breakfast meal, he’d go out to eat all by himself if no one else could go. I was stunned! Who likes breakfast food that much??
A year after we started dating, I made a New Year’s Resolution to make Jim a nice breakfast once a month. I started to realize how great breakfast is — it’s more than greasy omelets and dry toast — you can really have fun with breakfast foods, especially when you make it yourself. The first New Year’s Resolution breakfast I made was an easy slow cooker recipe I’m sure a lot of you have tried. Egg Casserole.
That resolution stuck for about 6 months & I haven’t made an egg casserole in the slow cooker since. I pretty much forgotten I had even made it until the slow cooker egg casserole came up in conversation at the lake a few weekends ago. It got me thinking I totally need to make eggs in the slow cooker again. It’s so easy & no oven required!
A strata recipe has two requirements. 1. It has eggs. 2. It must have stale bread. If you can’t get your hands on stale bread, that’s no biggie. Just buy day old bread from the store, and cut into cubes. Let it sit out for a couple hours; it will get firm. You could toast it in the oven but that would defeat the purpose of not using the oven on a hot summer day.
From there, add the ingredients you like to an egg casserole. For me, I went the Italian route. Lean Italian turkey sausage, onions, roasted red peppers, spinach and goat cheese. Add the stale bread to the slow cooker. Beat eggs and add the additional ingredients; stir to combine. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and cook in the slow cooker for 3 hours on low. That’s it! You can top it with additional cheese or sauce. I love eggs with marinara sauce, so I drizzled a little on top of the finished product.
Italian Egg Strata is such an easy slow cooker recipe! It was very flavorful and filling. Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you can’t make an egg casserole. Just use you slow cooker instead for this awesome recipe!
- 2 cups stale bread, cubed
- 1 lb ground turkey sausage (I picked an italian seasoned turkey sausage.)
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 1 onion, diced
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers, julienned
- 1.5 cups baby spinach
- 4 oz goat cheese crumbles
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Store bought marinara sauce, for garnish
- Spray a slow cooker with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the slow cooker with the cubed bread.
- Cook sausage in a hot skillet. Cook until browned. Line a plate with paper towels and plate cooked sausage on top to drain excess liquid/grease. Let sausage cool.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add veggies, cheese and cooled sausage. Season with salt & peppers. Stir until well combined. Pour egg mixture over bread in slow cooker. Cook on low for 2-3 hours.
- Cut into cooked egg strata. If there is excess liquid (usually from the spinach), cook for 30 minutes with the lid partially on. When you're ready to serve, top individual servings with warmed marinara sauce.