This is my 3rd recipe of Buffalo Flavored food this week. And I’m totally not sick of it yet. Buffalo flavored food gets a lot blog time during football season and man friendly posts. I’d had a fun time “healthifing” popular buffalo recipes, like Spicy Buffalo Chicken & Blue Cheese Potatoes and Quinoa Buffalo Chicken Salad. Today’s post is for all of my vegetarian friends! But for my fellow meat lover’s, don’t worry, this recipe is for you, too!
Buffalo Portobello Burgers with Grilled Pineapple Salsa. Probably two things you wouldn’t think to pair together…. But I guess I’m kinda of weird in that way. My love for combining buffalo sauce and pineapple comes from one of my favorite pizza places. The buffalo chicken pizza always has pineapple on it. Sweet with some heat is right up my alley.
Using large portobello mushrooms in place of meat for a burger is something I try to do when I want a lighter meal. In this recipe, I used the same buffalo sauce marinade from Monday’s post. The salsa recipe is very basic, too. It’s the typical ingredients – tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, avocado and lime juice. Slice up some pineapple and put that on the grill with the mushrooms. The mushrooms will shrink in size, so you’ll probably want 2 portobellos per person. Once the pineapple is grilled, cut it up and add it to the salsa. Serve salsa on top of the mushrooms and you have yourself an awesome veggie burger!
If you’re the type of person who isn’t into the whole veggie burger thing, I dare you to try this recipe. It has all of the flavors you’ll love — buffalo sauce, sweet & caramelized pineapple and fresh salsa. This recipe would be great for a week night since it comes together so quickly. I’d also serve this at a weekend cook out as a fun vegetarian option.
Be sure to come by the blog tomorrow! I’ll be in Florida but I have a special guest stopping by and posting an amazing dessert. (And no, there isn’t buffalo sauce in it!)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground white pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 8 portobellos, cleaned
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- pinch of salt
- 4 pineapple rings, cored
- 4 burger buns
- Hot sauce, optional
- To make the marinade, combine olive oil & the next 6 ingredients. Place mushrooms in a resealable bag and pour in the marinade. Let it sit at room temperature for atleast 10 minutes.
- For the salsa, combine all ingredients except for the pineapple.
- Turn the grill to a medium heat. Place portobellos on grill, flesh side down. Add pineapple rings. Grill for 5 minutes. Flip portobellos and pineapple. Grill for 3 minutes. Toast buns on the grill. Remove everything from the grill. Let the portobellos sit for a few minutes. Chop pineapple and stir into the salsa.
- 2 portobellos per person. Serve on the toasted bun, topped with grilled pineapple salsa.