I’ve got another healthy buffalo flavored recipe for you today…
On Sunday when I made Spicy Buffalo Chicken, I grilled too many pieces of chicken. It was one of those days when my eyes were bigger than my stomach… And I’m never one to waste food, so I wanted to create a new recipe with the leftovers.
Quinoa Buffalo Chicken Salad is a protein packed salad! Quinoa is pretty much the healthiest food in the world. You should be eating it if you aren’t already! Quinoa is prepared like rice but I like to cook it in some kind of broth/stock to give the quinoa extra flavor. Since this is a salad, let’s talk about all of the veggies! Shredded carrots, celery, green onions and red peppers give this salad a lot of crunch. Top this salad with some blue cheese crumbles and you have dinner!
By using leftover chicken, this Quinoa Buffalo Chicken Salad came together in no time at all. When the quinoa was cooked and slightly cooled, all of the veggies were chopped, chicken was shredded and the buffalo garlic salad dressing was ready. Only thing left to do was eat!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups chicken stock/broth
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, chopped or shredded
- 1 fresh red pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- low fat blue cheese crumbles
- In a sauce pan, cook quinoa according to package directions. Use chicken stock instead of water to give the quinoa more flavor.
- When the quinoa is cooked, add it to a large bowl. Mix in chicken, red pepper, green onions, celery and carrots. Set aside.
- In the same sauce pan, over a medium heat, add garlic and oil. Stir and cook until you can smell the garlic. Add hot sauce and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. When you're ready to eat, pour buffalo garlic salad dressing over quinoa. Top with blue cheese crumbles. Salad can be eaten warm or cold.