Isn’t it great when you can have an amazing home cooked meal with very little effort?? And it’s even better when the recipe is comforting. I made beef short ribs in a slow cooker and I loved it. It was the perfect meal after a busy day.
Most times, cooking short ribs means lots of oven time…sometimes up to 4 hours. I don’t know about you, but I certainly don’t have time for that! Short Ribs are very dense and when they’re cooked just right, it’s the most fork tender rib you’ll ever find. Seriously, when I was ready to eat these Ginger & Soy Beef Short Ribs, I didn’t need a knife. Just by digging in with a fork, the meat tore apart.
The marinade are mostly pantry items, including soy sauce, beef broth, brown sugar, garlic and ginger. I added a few spices, like coriander (which you could use cilantro if you don’t want to buy a new spice) and Chinese five spice (again, if you don’t have it – you can use fennel seed or omit it). It’s cooked for 5 hours with the short ribs and then strained and simmered until only half of the liquid remains. It will be a thin sauce that’s perfect to drizzle over the short ribs and 90 second rice.
It’s recipes like this this one make me really happy! I loved how easy it was to prepare such a fancy meal. And the short ribs were amazingly tender and the sauce had a lot of zing from the ginger. And of course, the 90 second microwavable rice guaranteed I didn’t have to scrape a pot of burnt rice. I hope you’ll like it too!
- 8 short ribs
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tsp dried coriander (or cilantro)
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice (or dried fennel)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 packages of 90 second brown rice
- Green onions, for garnish
- Take the 8 short ribs and sprinkle with salt & pepper. In a warm skillet, add sesame oil. Brown short ribs on the meaty side. In the slow cooker, mix together the rest of the ingredients (expect rice & green onions.) Place short ribs in the slow cooker, meaty side down. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- When the ribs are fork tender, remove from the slow cooker. Strain liquid in the slow cooker into a sauce pan. Boil 5 to 10 minutes or until reduced by about half.
- Microwave rice according to directions (usually 90 seconds!). Serve under short ribs with sauce and green onions.