The Final Four is this weekend….I’ll be watching but totally pouting. My Hoosier basketball team didn’t raise to the #1 seed they were given and totally flopped in the Sweet Sixteen against Syracuse. I’m still disappointed and mad at the Coach for not preparing our boys enough. Everyone who knows college basketball knows Syracuse plays a zone defense. DUH.
Ok, enough with my rant. Assuming you’ll be watching the Final Four or just like game day food, I’m sharing with you some finger licking good sauce which goes perrrfect with baked chicken wings.
I came up with recipe out of pure laziness. In my old neighborhood, there is a bar that has good chicken wings and I love their cheesy garlic sauce. I only moved a couple miles away but the traffic on that side of town is just terrible…and since the Cubs will be having their home opener next week, I probably won’t head in that direction until September.
I was really craving this cheesy garlic sauce and instead of driving over to the bar, I decided I could re-create myself and make it even better…which I did. I used parmesan cheese, a couple cloves of garlic and some Uncle Pete’s Buffalo Sauce (my favorite!). I think the bar uses more of a butter sauce, so I was happy to cut some calories from this already splurging meal. Also, the wings are baked in the oven for 30 minutes and they get perfectly crispy. (Yay, no frying! another calorie saver.)
The only mistake I made was only making 12 wings. Sub note – Why are chicken wing packages so hard to tell how many chicken wings are actually in the package??!! I don’t care how much the package weighs; tell me how many wings I’m buying. — My hubby and I gobbled these wings down and we were still kind of hungry. Next time, I’ll be sure to buy more because this sauce makes a lot.
If you’re a fan of wings, you must try this recipe! I think you’ll be licking your fingers to get every last drip of the Cheesy Garlic Buffalo Sauce.
- 4 lb buffalo wings (this is double what I bought)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Buffalo sauce
- Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing
- Heated the oven to 400 degrees. Set a wire rack inside each of 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Place wings, oil, salt & pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Divide wings between prepared racks and spread out in a single layer. Bake for 45 minutes and check internal temperature. Return to the oven if needed.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter. Add garlic and stir for 1 minutes. Add cheese and buffalo sauce. Stir to eliminate most of the cheese lumps. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- When wings are done cooking, toss with sauce. Serve with Ranch or Blue Cheese dressing