You didn’t think this little Irish Girl wouldn’t have at least one St. Patrick’s Day recipe to share, did you??
You’re in luck. All week I’ll be sharing St. Patrick’s Day inspired recipes! Today’s recipe is a twist on everyone’s favorite – Corned Beef & Guinness. And I’m not talking about a plate of corned beef with a pint of Guinness. We’re cooking both together in a crock pot.
This recipe is super easy (especially since the slow cooker is involved!) and I’m guessing you have a majority of the ingredients already on hand. For the Irish inspired meal, the pantry items you’ll need are brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, bay leaves and garlic. At the grocery store, be sure to pick up corned beef, 1 bottle of Guinness, baby red potatoes, and baby carrots.
I picked Guinness Extra Stout (it was the only 1 bottle option available) and it’s a very dark beer with a complex spicy aroma. It’s smooth and well balanced. To get the most flavor possible and to tenderize the meat, some kind of acid needed to be added to the marinade. Apple cider vinegar & Dijon mustard are just perfect for this recipe. You can slightly taste (and smell) the apple and many people like their corned beef with Dijon mustard.. so why not add it to the cooking marinade. The best part about the marinade — it becomes the gravy! It’s delicious!
Like any good Irish girl would say, you need your potatoes! I love small red potatoes. You don’t have to take the time to cut them up, just throw them in the crock pot when the meat is half way done cooking. I added carrots during the last hour of cooking. I like carrots to still have a little snap in them.
How will you be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day?? I hope you’ll be enjoying some beer infused meals, like this one! Slow Cooked Corned Beef with Guinness Gravy - it doesn’t get anymore Irish than that!
- 2-3lb Corned Beef
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, mined
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- A few bay leaves
- 3lb Red potatoes, (baby/small size)
- 16 oz baby carrots
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1. Place corned beef in a slow cooker coated with cooking spray. In a small bowl, make the marinade. Combine beer and the next 5 ingredients. Stir with a whisk until well combined. Pour over corned beef. Season corned beef with pepper. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- 2. Half way into cooking, add potatoes. With one hour left, add carrots.
- 3. When the meat has finished cooking, remove from slow cooker and place on a plate; wrap it in foil to let the meat rest for 10 minutes. Cut meat against the grain. Remove potatoes & carrots; set aside in a large bowl. Strain cooking marinade. Set aside to make gravy.
- 4. In a medium sauce pot, add butter and flour. Stir until the mixture is a light brown color. add cooking marinade. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Serve over corned beef, potatoes & carrots.