I love healthy food when it doesn’t taste like healthy food. We all know there is nothing more sad than diet food. Boring salads, bland chicken breasts, pretending that fat free-sugar free pudding is a dessert – No Thanks!
If I’m going to post a healthy salad recipe, trust me, it’s going to be delicious. If you haven’t tried quinoa yet, what are you waiting for?? It’s packed with protein, has lots of fiber and iron. It’s very versatile but I think it pairs great with vegetables. To give quinoa the most flavor possible, I always cook it in some kind of stock. It absorbs the flavor while it’s cooking. Since I was going for a Southwestern vibe for this meal, I added cumin to the stock and I could of eaten the quinoa just like that. Keep that trick in mind if you’re ever looking for a quick side dish. Quinoa + Stock + Seasoning = OMG SO GOOD!
Once the quinoa is cooked, add the Cilantro Lime & Honey dressing immediately along with the vegetables. You can pick your favorites, but the veggies I selected are corn, black beans, avocado, orange peppers, tomatoes, squash and onion.
To make this meal a bit more hearty, I made a citrus marinade for skirt steak. It had a lot of the same flavors that’s in the quinoa salad. If you aren’t familiar with cooking skirt steak, Jaden has an excellent step by step tutorial on The Tasty Kitchen. I highly recommend checking it out!
This recipe is quick and easy! Perfect thing to eat after a busy day. It’s also a meal you can feel good about eating. It’s rich in protein, gluten free, dairy free and visually appealing. It’s so delicious – your family won’t know they’re eating a healthy meal.
- 1.5 flank steak, trimmed of visible fat
- Juice 2 limes
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups stock
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 squash, chopped
- 1 (10 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (10 oz) can black beans, drained & rinses
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 pepper, any color
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1. Season steak with salt & pepper on both sides. Place in a resealable bag. To make marinade, combine lime juice and the next 7 ingredients. Add 1 tsp of oil; stir. Add to bag with steak. Seal and massage bag to coat beef. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight
- 2. Heat remaining 1 tsp oil in a cast iron grill pan on medium. Add steak and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil and let rest for about 3 minutes. Slice across the grain into thin slices. Serve with quinoa salad.
- 1. Make dressing by combining lemon juice, oil, honey & cilantro in a small bowl. Stir and taste; add salt & pepper. Set aside.
- 2. In a medium sauce pan, add stock, cumin and quinoa. Over medium heat, bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes. When all of the liquid is gone, remove from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and add quinoa to a large bowl. Pour dressing over quinoa.
- 3. In a skillet coated with cooking spray, add onion and squash. Cook until soft, 8 minutes. Add onion mixture to the bowl with quinoa.
- 4. Add the rest of the salad ingredients to the quinoa. Fold ingredients until well combined. Salad can be served immediately or kept in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 days.