One thing I love to do is find new blogs. Some of you might know that from my #FollowFriday feature which I highlight a blog I’m crushing on and share 5 of their posts. I’m excited to be taking part of the Surprise Recipe Swap for February. Each month, a blogger is assigned to another participating blogger and pick a recipe of theirs to make & post about. If this is something you’d like to join, click on the Surprise Recipe Swap image to sign up!
For February, my assigned blog was Red, White & Blueberries. Melissa’s recipes are All American with a Texas twist. Cooking for family is something Melissa grew accustomed to. Her Mother & Grandmother would spend their weekends and vacations cooking for everyone. These days, Melissa is making meals for her husband and his large Greek family. We’re talking 30+ people. (wowza!)
The recipe I selected from Red, White & Blueberries was Melissa’s easy apple turnovers. Turnovers are great because they can be eaten anytime of day. I like turnovers for a sweet breakfast, an afternoon pick-me-up snack or as a dessert.
I really liked Melissa’s recipe because she took a little shortcut to get these turnovers on the table. For the dough, she used Pillsbury crescent rolls. This makes this dish super easy!
I did make a few changes to the recipe — for the apples, I mixed two different kinds. I like a tart apple (like Granny Smith) and then a sweet apple (like Gala). I always do this trick with any apple recipe — pie or cobbler — because mixing two kinds of apples provide a balance of flavor. It won’t be too sweet or tart. I also added goat cheese. I like the creamy texture and savoriness goat cheese gives this sweet turnover. It’s definitely something different, but I think you’ll like addition!
Red, White & Blueberries Easy Apple Turnover Recipe is a new favorite! I’m sure I’ll be making it again when I’m short on time in the morning for breakfast, looking for an afternoon treat or we’re having guests for dinner and I need a quick dessert.
- 2 apples, peeled and cubed. (I used 1 Granny Smith & 1 Gala Apple.)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 dash of salt
- 2 cups of water
- 1 can of Pillsbury crescent rolls
- 2-3 tbsp goat cheese crumbles
- 2 – 4 tbsp. water
- ½ cup of confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan, add apples and the next 5 ingredients. Cook until almost all of the liquid evaporates. (the liquid should be thick like a syrup.) This step will take about 15 minutes.
- Roll out each crescent into a square shape. Take a spoonful of the apple turnover filling and place it in the center of crescent. Sprinkle goat cheese on top. Fold up the sides and pinch the dough to seal everything inside. Place turnovers on a grease cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until brown.
- To make glaze - combine water, sugar and vanilla. Stir until well combined and no clumps are visible. Drizzle over turnover and serve.