If I had to pick only one type of cuisine to eat for the rest of my life, I’d pick Mexican. No doubt. I could live on chips, salsa and queso… oh and guacamole. And I’d be so happy!
But seriously, Mexican food is amazing. My only complaint – when we go out to dinner, I have a hard time picking what I want….and then when the waiter arrives to take my order, I’m usually debating between 4 items and I’m forced to chose. When in doubt, I’ll pick enchiladas. It’s a safe choice. Who doesn’t like meat, veggies & cheese wrapped in a warmed tortilla??
I’ve found a way to make create my own spin on chicken enchiladas — Instead of wrapping all of the ingredients in a tortilla, try chicken. Yes, stuff and roll a chicken breast. It’s a bit different, but it’s darn good…. oh and I also made an enchilada cheese sauce. I clearly need someone to take away my cheese grater. This is the second bechamel cheese sauce I’ve made this week.
Ok, so this is how everything comes together. The filling has veggies, sour cream, cheese and cut up tortillas. On a butterflied and pounded/flattened chicken breast, place a large spoonful of the filling on one side and start to roll. Secure with at least 2 toothpicks. When all of the chicken breasts are ready to be baked, top with the enchilada cheese sauce. Bake for 45 minutes.
This is a bit more of a labor intensive meal than I’d prefer for a week night meal. So it’s perfect for a weekend or if you plan ahead, the chicken can be rolled up a day before and top it with the enchilada cheese sauce right before it’s baked.
Trust me, this meal is well worth the effort! I love all of the cheese (obviously!) and you can still taste the tortillas in the filling. Plus, do we ever get enough chicken in restaurant enchiladas? Heck no! For this recipe – Inside Out Chicken Enchiladas – chicken is the star of the show.
- 2.5 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 Red Pepper, diced
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 4 Corn Tortillas, sliced into strips and then cut again. (will look like squares)
- 4 oz can Mild Green Chilis
- 15 oz can Black Beans, drained
- 1 tbsp Cilantro, diced
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend
- Salt, to season
- Cooking Spray
- 2 10 oz cans Enchilada Sauce
- 6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, butterflied and flattened
- 2 tbsp Butter, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Skim Milk
- 8 oz block Monterey Jack & Chedder Cheese, shredded
- Pre-heat oven 375 degrees.
- To make the enchilada filling, combine the taco seasoning and the next 8 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir and taste. Add salt if needed.
- Coat a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour 1 can of enchilada sauce into the dish.
- For the chicken roll ups - take one large spoonful of the enchilada filling and place it on one side of a chicken breast.Fold over and roll chicken. Secure with toothpicks. Place in the casserole dish. Repeat 5 more times.
- In a sauce pan, add butter & flour. Stir and cook until the mixture is a deep blonde color. Add 1 cup of milk and stir with a whisk. When the sauce has thickened, add the other can of enchilada sauce. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat and stir in half of the Monterey Jack & Chedder cheese. Stir until all of the cheese is melted. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Bake chicken for 45 minutes. Take out chicken and sprinkle the remaining cheese. Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and let it rest for 5 minutes before serving.