Are you ready for the Super Bowl?? I’m getting there — I’ve got my stretch pants all washed and ready to go. If your team isn’t in the Super Bowl, the only thing that matters is the food selection, right?? My hubby & I go to the same Super Bowl party every year and there is always a ton of food. When you’re the culinary girl in the group, there is always extra pressure to bring something super duper amazing. Well, I think I made the appetizer of the Super Bowl….
I have a major obsession with BBQ Chicken Pizza. I’ll order it from good pizza places. I’ll order it late night when I’ve had too many cocktails. And when I’m really desperate, I’ll even hit up my freezer and warm up a Lean Cuisine BBQ Chicken Pizza. I made BBQ Chicken Sandwiches the other day and I had a lot of chicken left over. Instead of making a BBQ Chicken Pizza, I got my Super Bowl Game Face on and decided to use my left overs to make BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Jalapeno Poppers…wrapped in bacon.
Ok, so these poppers are not healthy but totally worth all of the calories. I ate 5 in under 5 minutes. (I’m a pig and have no self control.) I love the taste of the BBQ sauce, fresh cilantro, pineapple and bacon. One great thing – the poppers are baked and I have a little secret I like to do to the bacon. After I’ve wrapped bacon around the jalapeno, I like to sprinkle brown sugar over the bacon. While the poppers are baking, the bacon gets very caramelized and the sweet taste is amazing!
Poppers can be assembled up to a day ahead of time and kept in the fridge before cooking. Or, they can be fully cooked and frozen in plastic bags. Just thaw and warm up in the oven before serving.
If you’re looking for the ultimate Super Bowl party dish, look no further. It’s a unique dish and will be the hit of the party!! So I guess that means you’ll be the most popular person there!
BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Jalapeno Poppers, makes 24 poppers
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded BBQ chicken
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- Salt, to taste
- 4 pineapple rings, chopped
- 12 jalapenos, cut in half, seeds and ribs removed
- 24 strips of bacon (I used Oscar Mayer Hardwood Smoked)
- brown sugar
- Pre-heat over to 300 degrees.
- In a bowl, use a hand mixer to fluff up cream cheese. Once it’s light and airy, add BBQ chicken and the next 4 ingredients. Fold with a spatula until it’s well combined. Add pineapple and stir.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Stuff each hallowed jalapeno with the cream cheese mixture. Wrap jalapeno in bacon and secure with a toothpick. Place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of bacon. Bake for 60 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.