Has anyone been to Target and strolled down the Valentine’s Day section?? I say this as a warning, only go if you have a ton of will power and self restraint. So much cute stuff!! I picked up everything I liked and by the time I was done, it looked like cupid exploded in my cart. I did an inventory of everything I picked out and I made myself put things back. One thing I couldn’t wait to take home was a heart shaped cake pan. You can never have too many cake pans in cute shapes.
Last week I made brownies from scratch, so you’d think I’d remember using almost all of my cocoa powder I had left in the pantry. I must have had a mental lapse because I totally forgot. I was starting to get my ingredients together to make chocolate cake, and what do you know, I have like 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder left. I could’ve screamed.
Even when I’m forgetful, I can still be resourceful. I had 3 box cake mixes in the pantry – coconut, butter cake and devil’s food cake. I also had cherry pie filling. By combining the devil’s food cake box mix, 3 eggs and cherry pie filling I’d be eating cake in a hour.
Frosting was a no-brainer. Cream cheese frosting is one of the best things on Earth. I’m not a super sweet frosting person, so I think that’s why I love cream cheese frosting so much. There is just a touch of sweetness and still very luscious.
If you like chocolate covered cherries, you’ll love this cake!
Chocolate Cherry Cake with Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 box cake mix, devil’s food flavor
- 1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling
- 3 eggs
- 2 sticks butter, at room temperature
- 12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter/spray cake pan.
- Combine cake mix, pie filling and eggs. Stir until mixed. Pour into cake pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Cool in cake pan.
- To make frosting – with an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add sugar, ½ cup at a time, and then vanilla, and mix until smooth and combined, scraping down sides of bowl as needed.
- Frost cake and serve.