Yay yay yay!! I can’t decide what I’m more excited about — healthy breakfast muffins or my 1st giveaway!? Let’s start with the muffins…
I hope all of the new year’s resolutions you’ve made to eat better are still on your mind… if not, no fear, these muffins are pretty good for you but they don’t taste like light muffins. We’ve all tried a store bought “”light” muffin, right?? I’m sure after your first bite (you might have gagged) and then threw it straight into the trash. This has been my experience… I’ve tried multiple light muffins from the grocery store, all have the same result. I guess I’m easily fooled by cute packaging.
My breakfasts lately have been smoothies, so I wanted to switch it up & still keep it healthy. Muffins are the perfect breakfast when you need eat something while running out the door. Adding oatmeal to the muffin batter makes it a bit more dense and provides texture. I love using a mix of berries instead of just the usual blueberry. Since it’s January in Chicago, I used a frozen cherry berry medley from Trader Joe’s. It had cherries, blueberries and blackberries. So good!
If you’re looking for a healthy, good muffin – give them a try!
Very Berry Oatmeal Muffins
- 1 2/3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2/3 all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 large eggs
- 16 oz frozen berry medley
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a food processor, add oats and pulse until it’s like a cornmeal texture.
- Add oats and all dry ingredients (up to salt) into a large bowl. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, add buttermilk and the rest of the liquid ingredients (through eggs.) Pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until moist.
- Combine berries with 2 tablespoons flour. Add berries and fold into batter. Spoon batter into 24 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from pans immediately; place on a wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Inspired by Cooking Light
Besides having a love for muffins, I LOVE Crate & Barrel! They always have the cutest stuff. I think I registered for every item in the store when I got married. The C&B catalog arrived the other day and they had adorable Valentine’s Day decor. I promised once I was done with my blog design makeover, I’d celebrate with a giveaway. Today is the day!! Here is what you could win:
*** The giveaway will run until Sunday (midnight) and is open to those who live in the United States. GOOD LUCK!!!