Copy Cat Recipe – Taco Bell’s Meximelt (healthy option!)

Healthy Meximelt - The Tasty Fork

I have a secret…About once a month, usually on a Sunday night, I get a craving for Taco Bell. Yes, I know that stuff is just terrible for you but why does terrible taste so darn good?!! And why is terrible so cheap??!

I always order the same items. One of those items being a Meximelt. It has ground beef, pico de gallo and cheese all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla. The cheese is melted and the pico de gallo has a lot of cilantro. There really isn’t much to it… which got me to thinking, “Why can’t I make meximelts at home?”

Healthy TB Meximelt --The Tasty Fork

You totally can. I made a few changes to make my at home Meximelt a healthy option. It was just as delicious! I’m not going to say I’ll never order a Meximelt again from Taco Bell, but knowing I can get my fix at home is pretty satisfying.

Do you have a favorite copy cat recipe? I’d love to know all about it! Head over to my facebook page and post your copy cat recipes. I’ll highlight the ones I want to try!

Taco Bell Inspired Meximelt

• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 taco seasoning packet
  • 4 plum tomatoes, diced (no seeds)
  • 1 jalepeno, diced (remove white ribs and seeds)
  • 1/2 white onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • Salt & pepper
  • 8 flour tortillas, taco size
  • Reduced Fat Mexican Cheese Blend, shredded
  • Hot sauce, optional

Directions:

1. In a warm skillet, add oil and ground turkey. Cook until browned, 8-10  minutes. Drain excess liquid. Add taco seasoning to the meat mixture. (I followed the directions on the packet by adding 2/3 cup of water along with the taco seasoning.) Cook with meat for 5 minutes.
  2. Make pico de gallo – combine tomatoes, jalepeno, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt & pepper.
  3. When the taco meat is cooked, take 1/4 cup of meat and add it to the middle of a flour tortilla. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cook in the microwave for 30 seconds, or until the cheese has melted. Top with pico de gallo.  Add hot sauce, if needed.

1. Double Decker Beef Tacos says

[...] pleasures, I’m embarrassed to share Taco Bell is my list.  A few months ago I made one of my favorite Taco Bell inspired recipes at home. I had fun trying to make it a healthier option and it tastes better than Taco [...]

2. Rachel @ I Love My Disorganized Life says

Haha I totally get those Taco Bell cravings, too! Ya, Why IS bad food priced so cheap?! SO glad you made this healthier option and shared it with us at Wicked Good Wednesdays! {We use mostly ground turkey and very little beef, so this is perfect!}

3. Pin-Worthy Featured Links - Sweet Bella Roos says

[...] quite traumatic lol.)  I also love the idea of this being a “winter” fondue.  Yum! 4. Taco Bell’s Meximelt (Copy Cat Recipe/Healthy Option)- The Tasty Fork… I laughed out loud at Meghan’s craving confession, mostly I’m [...]

4. CJ @ Morsels of Life says

Your meximelt looks great! I’ve been trying to make some DIY Taco Bell too – although I’ve been playing around with the Mexican Pizza. :) Thanks for sharing!

5. Chandra@The Plaid and Paisley Kitchen says

I always get a craving for Taco Bell! I hate that it is bad for you and I love that it is so cheap! This homemade version of a Meximelt looks great!

6. BruCrew Life says

Taco Bell is so good!!! Love that you made these a little bit more healthy!

• Miss Tasty says

I’m glad to know I’m not the only Taco Bell lover out there :)

• Rebecca says

I’m going to make Pico all the time for Tacos. We eat them alot of tacos, Grilled Chicken,Beef,Pork,Lean Gr.Burger. I’m not real fond of Gr.Turkey but will use it if i can mask the flavor. I also used finely sliced cabbage as maybe lettuce. Keep your great recipes coming your doing great….

• Miss Tasty says

You could try ground chicken..???

7. Rebecca says

I almos forgot …I made the Mexi Melt……….Man was it good….I used WW Tortillas. This is definetly a keeper.Thanks

8. Rebecca says

Hey Meghan… I made the Mushroom Soup and it was very good. I added extra LF Sour Cream likeed a little thicker and i added a little celery and carrot. I will be trying your Slider’s.

• Miss Tasty says

So glad you liked it and you added your own personal touches! :)

9. LifeCupcakesandlife (@tlbntlb_143) says

Nice!! I love some Taco Bell too! This recipe actually looks pretty healthy! I will be trying this one! Thanks for sharing! I am a follower to your blog, love it! Come visit me some time at http://www.lifecupcakesandlife.com

Tracy