Slow Cooked Root Beer Pulled Pork with a kick…

I’m pretty sure most people like me because of this pulled pork recipe. I’ve brought it to football parties, potlucks and picnics. It’s always a hit and I rarely have leftovers. As someone who complains about leftovers, I get a little sad when all of the pulled pork is devoured.

I made Root Beer Pulled Pork for The Bears Monday Night Football game last week. I was looking forward to having a lazy night on the couch and eating a couple pulled pork sandwiches. I got a call from my hubby mid-morning asking if he could have a couple of friends over for dinner. I hesitated slightly. I wasn’t worried about not having enough pork, but I wasn’t totally thrilled about not having a pork sandwich for lunch the next day. But I decided to put my greediness aside and said of course he could have friends over. I love entertaining and pulled pork is perfect for a Monday night meal.

However, I didn’t get enough pulled pork for my liking. So over the weekend, I made more. It was a nice break from the massive cheesy meatball lasagna I made on Friday night.

I know there are a lot of root beer pulled pork recipes out there… but dare I say, this recipe is the best. Root beer provides some flavor, but I want more. So I like to add additional spices to turn things up a notch. Trust me, you don’t even need BBQ sauce. (but you still can if you want. I won’t judge you.)

And since this is made in a crock pot, it’s the perfect meal for any day of the week. It requires no attention until it’s time to shred the pork.

So to all of my friends, here is my recipe. I guess I’ll need to come up with another recipe to get me invited to shindigs. :)

Slow Cooked Root Beer Pulled Pork

• 1 cup root beer, additional might be needed
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp grill seasoning
  • 1-2 tsp salt
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 2 lb boneless supreme pork roast
  • 4 to 8 buns
  • BBQ sauce, if needed

Directions:

1. Pour root beer into slow cooker. Add all the spices, seasonings and garlic. Gives everything a good stir. Add onions and pork. Add more root beer if needed. You don’t want the pork to be submerged, just nicely floating.
  2. Set the slow cooker on the lowest setting. Cook for 5-6 hours.
  3. When the pork is cooked, shred meat in the slow cooker. Turn the setting down to warm and let the shredded pork hang out for 20 minutes. Serve on buns and BBQ sauce.

1. 13 Best Crockpot Meals for 2013 | {i love} my disorganized life{i love} my disorganized life says

[…] thirds! OK, I actually had four bowls, but I was really hungry}       This Slow Cooked Root Beer Pulled Pork by The Tasty Fork is incredibly flavorful and juicy.        Crockpot […]

2. Slow Roasted Pulled Pork | The Tasty Fork says

[…] Pork is something we eat a lot in our house. My famous recipe among friends is Root Beer Pulled Pork. I make it often during football season. Mainly because it’s easy, feeds a lot of people and […]

3. Chef David says

I also like to throw about a lb of finely shaved honey cured ham in the mix after the pork is done cooking…. just adds another dimension of flavor and more food. Deff trying this recipe this weekend.

4. Chris P says

Making this right now.I’m using a five pound bone in pork shoulder. I’ll let ya know how it comes out!!

• admin says

AWESOME, Chris!! Let me know how it turns out! I wish I was eating some with you. I just love this recipe!!

5. Shea Guetti says

This looks so amazing! I have just started to get everything ready and about to add all of the ingredients to my crock pot. This will be done in the morning and all ready for me to make my husband sandwiches to bring to work in the afternoon! Thank you so much! This is my first attempt at pulled pork and I have looked online for over an hour and have picked yours!!!!!

• admin says

Awe!! Thanks for sharing that with me, Shea!! I hope both of you love your sandwiches!!

6. G S says

I made this for the first time today, everyone thought it was great and went back for seconds and even thirds. Very simple to make and well worth it. Thanks for the great recipe!

7. Dean T. says

If the pork is not submerged in root beer, should it be occasionally rotated or turned to be sure that the upper part does not dry out – or is it not an issue?
    I am excited to try this recipe for the super bowl!!

• admin says

Hi Dean! I don’t rotate it all. Slow cookers keep meat very moist. I’m so happy you’re making it for the Super Bowl! GREAT choice!!

8. Ashley P says

I love making this with Dr. Pepper in place of the root beer as well. My husband and I are honey BBQ fans, and that’s what the Dr. Pepper reminds me of- just a little sweetness.

• admin says

Yum!! I’ll have to try Dr. Pepper sometime.

9. Carol says

Wow, this was my very first time to make pulled pork. You made it soooo easy!It is amzing. I know my Grandson will LOVE it tomorrow!I also made him, his very own from scratch chicken pot pie.(with his initals on it in piecrusr decoration!) Hey, all you Nanas’ out there know what I am talkin’ about. There is no food like Nanas’ food! I have been teaching him how to bake and cook since he was 2. Now he is almost 12 and likes to bake and cook for me. Thank you again!

• admin says

Awe, Nana food IS the best! I’m so happy you made this for your Grandson and you two love to be in the kitchen together. That will create some special memories for both of you. :)

10. Michelle Day says

Oh my goodness, I LOVE pulled pork and this looks delish! Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday last week. Have a great day.
    Michelle

11. HungryLittleGirl says

Even tho it’s only 8am, this dish makes my mouth water!
    It looks so delicious!

12. Sarah says

Pinned this crock pot recipe! I just started a part-time job so I’m stockpiling things to cook while I’m away at work! And if I can eat this with a side of kettle chips…I’m in heaven!

13. Rachel @ I Love My Disorganized Life says

I love pulled pork. But my husband isn’t too crazy about BBQ sauce. Needless to say we rarely have it. I was thrilled to see that this has no BBQ sauce in it! I can just have it on the side if I want {But something tells me I won’t need to} Already have a pork roast, so guess what I’m making this Sunday?!

• Miss Tasty says

Yay! Let me know how it goes on Sunday. I’m sure you’ll love it!

14. Shiloh Barkley says

This looks really really good. Like really good.

15. Bill says

The only suggestion I could make to this posting (which is excellent) would be serving a Root Beer Float for desert. However I guess drinking the real thing doesn’t go to well with ice cream.

16. Lisa D. says

What brand or flavor of grill seasoning do you prefer?

• Miss Tasty says

I usually buy the McCormicks Brand, Montreal Steak flavor… But I’ve also used the Mesquite flavor too.

• Lisa D. says

Another question…
        What is “boneless supreme pork roast”? Neither our meat market nor grocery store in Indy had ever heard of that.

• Miss Tasty says

It must be a Jewel Store thing here! Any kind of cut that holds up well in a slow cooker is fine.