I’m not sure why, but every time shrimp is involved in a meal, I think “OOOh, classy.” Shrimp Scampi. Shrimp Cocktail. Shrimp Fajitas… all things shrimp seem to “dress up” a meal.
I could have made a burger for dinner, which would have been great. However, to make a burger blog posting, it’s really gotta be unique and rock your socks off.
Then I had my “Ah-ha” moment and thought Shrimp Burgers would be a great variation to your everyday burger recipe. Since it was Monday, I didn’t want to spend all night in my kitchen making dinner. If you have a good blender or food processor, this meal will come together very easily.
The second best thing about a burger are the toppings. I didn’t want to go over board since I was using shrimp as my burger….but i didn’t want to go the easy route and top it with just mayo. I thought a citrus and spicy BBQ sauce would be a great thing to try out with this recipe…and of course, top it all off with some avocado. I really think avocado is the new bacon. It makes everything better.
The shrimp patties have a shrimp cake texture. If you’re looking for an alternative appetizer to a crab cake, this recipe would definitely work.
If you make the Chipotle Mango BBQ Sauce, you’ll have a lot of sauce left over. It’s awesome, so you’ll want to use it again. It would be great to put on some chicken or pork… or you could add some greek yogurt to it and it could be used as a salad dressing. Trying using it as a sauce for a pizza or spice up a taco. It’s pretty versatile and just different enough to make people ask, “whats in this sauce??!!!”
So go ahead and “class up” your everyday burger…. I promise you’ll love it!
Shrimp Burgers & Chipotle BBQ Sauce, makes 4-6 burgers
- 1 lb uncooked, deveined shrimp (remove tails)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- Handful of parsley leaves
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne red pepper
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Burger Buns
- Chipotle Mango BBQ Sauce (recipe to follow)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- In a food processor or strong blender, add 1/2 of the shrimp. Blend until the consistency is like a paste. Transfer shrimp to a bowl using a rubber spatula. Add the rest of the shrimp to the bowl.
- Add all of the veggies, garlic and parsley to the blender/food processor. Pulse until the mixture comes to a fine chop. Add it to the shrimp bowl.
- Add cayenne pepper and zest to the shrimp bowl. Give it a good stir. Season with salt & pepper. Add in the panko crumbs. Panko will help the burger mixture to firm up.
- Make 6 burger patties and add olive oil to a warm skillet. Cook burgers 3-4 minutes per side.
- Toast your burger buns and top with Chipotle BBQ Sauce. Add burgers and avocado.
Chipotle Mango BBQ Sauce, makes 2 cups
- 2 mangos, chopped
- 2 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
1. Put all ingredients in the blender. Blend until smooth. Add sauce to a sauce pan and cook for 10 minutes.