I started thinking about dinner by 8am on Tuesday. Don’t judge me. I was up at 4am to get to a client by 5am. (I know, it’s early but its the life in produce.) I’m usually thinking about dinner a couple of hours after being awake, so I guess my early morning thoughts weren’t that strange after all.
I stumbled across a new blog today. I saw a posting on Facebook about a new avocado slicer. Being intrigued by any kind of kitchen gadget, I found myself on Very Culinary. After making a mental note of “I NEED that avocado slicer,” I surfed through some of Amy’s recipes. She had so many delicious looking posts. I probably drooled a couple of times.
There was a post on Very Culinary I kept coming back to… Crock Pot Sesame Chicken. I’m always looking to use my crock pot, it does the work for me. I had almost all of the ingredients on hand and by adding vegetables, I could stretch out this meal for a few days.
Another reason why I loved this recipe – I was done with dinner and clean up by 6:30. That NEVER happens! I love making a great a meal, but nothing is a bigger drag than having to clean up. This recipe will not turn your kitchen into a disaster zone. All I used was my crock pot, a pot to cook the rice and a cutting board. Between the time I saved my using my crock pot and 5 minute clean up, I felt like I had my whole evening ahead me. It’s a good feeling.
Ok, so if you have left overs of this meal, I think it would make an excellent wrap! There are a lot of places in Chicago which specialize in Asian Style Chicken and making wraps. You can do this, too. All you need is a large tortilla wrap, cabbage and your sesame chicken & rice left overs. It’s like a whole new meal and requires no effort. Love that!
Crock Pot Sesame Chicken & Mushroom Cilantro Rice, serves 4
(inspired by Very Culinary)
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 6 Tablespoons water
- 2 carrots, sliced in rounds
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon (or more) sesame seeds
- 3 scallions, chopped
- cilantro, for garnish
- Mushroom & Cilantro Rice (recipe follows)
- Lightly season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, put into crock pot.
- In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic, pepper flakes, Sriracha (if using) and lime juice. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, leave sauce. Dissolve 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in 6 tablespoons of water and pour into crock pot. Stir to combine with sauce. Add veggies. Replace lid and cook sauce on high for ten more minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Shred chicken into bite size pieces. Then in individual bowls, place chicken pieces over cooked rice and spoon some sauce on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, chopped scallions and cilantro.
Mushroom & Cilantro Rice
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Bring stock to a boil. Add rice, mushrooms and cilantro. When the rice mixture starts to boil again, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 minutes or until all of the liquid has disappeared. Fluff with fork before serving.