Soooo, I know I’ve been neglected my blog duties for the last few months… My excuse – it’s a mixture of being busy & lazy. Does that make sense??
I had intentions of sharing all of the wonderful things I’ve been making. I took the time to take pictures of recipes…but no motivation to hop onto my computer and write everything down.
After being told my recipes were missed on the world wide web, I decided I needed to get back to something I truly love to do!
Are you ready?? Here we go!
I’m happy to report I’m finally cooking for two. Me & the hubby. I’m shocked he’s ok with me making healthy girlie salads. And it’s not like I’m pulling a fast one on him. He’s been going to the grocery store for me and sticking to the list. I think he’s on board with it!
This salad tastes like summer. Sweet grilled corn, juicy cherry tomatoes, spicy jalapeno and fresh basil. So good! Cooking the quinoa and adding it to the veggies & cheese makes the whole salad melt to together. It’s topped off with a zesty lemon & garlic dressing. Perfect to eat warm. It’s even better if you wait a day and eat it cold the next day.
Grilled Corn, Feta Cheese & Quinoa Salad, serves 4
- 2-3 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- ¾ cup crumbled feta
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (can be omitted)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4-5 basil leaves
1. Turn on the grill. Rub olive oil onto corn and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Cook the on the grill for 8 minutes. Be sure to rotate corn so all sides get evenly cooked. When the corn is done, let it cool. When corn is cool enough to work with, remove kernels with a knife. I’ve found this method is easiest. You won’t be picking corn kernels off the floor.
2. Add quinoa and chicken stock or water to a sauce pan. Bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover pan. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until all liquid has reduced. Fluff with fork.
3. Cut up all of the veggies and add them to the bowl with corn. Add chick peas. When the quinoa is done cooking, add it to the veggies mixture.
4. To make the salad dressing, add minced garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Pour salad dressing over quinoa & veggies. Top with feta cheese and fold into the salad. Top with basil.