Dear Mother Nature,
I want to thank you for this mild winter. It’s been relatively painless. Not a lot of snow, not too cold. And over the past two days, 70 degree weather. It blows my mind and I’m still not doubting the chance I can be bamboozled. Is this winters’ weather too good to be true??!!
Please don’t be playing a trick on me. Do you know what I did on March 6th?? Used this bad boy.
Mr. Brinkman is ready to make a full push back into my life and I can’t tell him no. Afterall, I barely used him last summer… but you’d never know b/c I forgot to clean him at the end of the season. (I was busy & distracted.) However, that didn’t stop Mr. Brinkman. He stepped up and grilled the heck out of some marinated chicken thighs.
Mother Nature, I know you’ve done crazy things. Chicago is the only place where you can experience all four seasons in one day. But just the thought of Spring so early in the year brings so smiles. I might have said some nasty things about you in the past… so to make amends, I’d like you think of this Spring Chicken meal as a token of my appreciation. Orange marinated chicken, bright-colored veggies and brown rice — it’s the perfect dish to make you feel like Spring is here to stay.
Now, if there is something you can do to fix all this wind, my hair would greatly appreciate it. I hate it when it gets stuck in my lip gloss.
Lots o’ love!
Orange Chicken – “Spring Chicken” Meal
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4 balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs. oregano, chopped
- 1 tbs. rosemary, chopped
- 1 tbs. thyme, chopped
- 1/4 tsp sriracha
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs, skin removed
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 4 green onion, sliced thick
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head of brocoli, stems removed
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cups rice, cooked
1. In small sauce pot combine orange juice, marmalade, vinegar, chopped herbs and sriracha. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
2.Pre-heat grill. (Make sure you spray it with cooking spray BEFORE you light it!) Season chicken with salt & pepper and a couple spoonfuls of the orange glaze. Work it into the chicken.
3. In a heated wok, add oil & all of the veggies and garlic except for the shredded carrots. Cook for 3-5 minutes. (I like my veggies to still have some bite, cook longer if you like them softer. Add carrots the last minute. Remove for heat & set aside.
4. Grill chicken thighs 6-7 minutes per side. Brush chicken with glaze during cooking.
5. To make your spring dinner plate, first put a heaping spoonful of rice on your plate. Top with veggies and then chicken. Drizzle orange glaze all over your meal!